Posted May 13, 2013
On day three of Super Bowl Snack week I am breaking the rules by not sharing a “snack”, but to me Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches are a great super bowl food. In my version of of this classic, I pile sauteed steak and onions on a toasted hoagie roll and top it all with a savory cheese sauce. I wont lie, it is very messy, but it is totally worth it.
Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches Recipe
Sauteed steak and onions piled high on a hoagie roll and topped with cheese sauce. It doesn’t get much better.
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound thinly sliced round steak (I found this in the meat section of my local grocery store)
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 hoagie rolls
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven broiler.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil. When butter melts add onion. Cook until onions start to turn brown and caramelize, about 10-15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet add round steak, granulated garlic, worcestershire, salt and pepper. Cook until meat is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- While you're cooking the meat, in a sauce pan over medium heat, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. When butter has melted, whisk in flour. Cook 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk.
- Stir in cream cheese and shredded cheddar and cook until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Toast the hoagie rolls under the broiler until they turn golden, about 1 minute.
- Layer the meat, onions and cheese sauce on the hoagie roll. Serve