Posted June 17, 2013
Ok I’ll admit it, many a time I have enjoyed a Mexican Pizza at Taco Bell for “fourth meal”. It was those outings that inspired this crunchy, cheesey Mexican pizza recipe. Seasoned ground beef and refried beans are layered between two crispy flour tortillas and topped with Mexican tomato sauce, 2 cheeses, diced tomatoes and green onions. The pizza is then placed under the broiler until the cheese melts.
Mexican Pizza Recipe
Seasoned beef and refried beans sandwiched between crispy tortillas, topped with cheese, spicy tomato sauce, tomatoes and green onions.
- 1 pound ground beef (you may substitute ground turkey if you like)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 (7 3/4) ounce can Mexican style tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can refried beans
- 1/4 cup canola oil for frying
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 tomatoes, seeded, diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- Preheat oven on broiler setting.
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef. Strain to remove any pan drippings. Return to pan and add taco seasoning and water. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat your refried beans until they are warmed through. Also, in a separate pot heat your tomato sauce until it is warmed through.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Fry one tortilla at a time until all are golden brown. About 2 minutes per-side. (Note: I like to layer the finished tortillas between paper towels while I am frying the remaining tortillas)
- Once the meat is brown, the beans and tomato sauce are warmed and the tortillas are fried, you can start assembling your pizzas. Starting with one crispy tortilla, layer refried beans and seasoned ground beef, then place another crispy tortilla on top. Next, spoon about 2 tablespoons of the Mexican tomato sauce on top, spreading it around with the back of your spoon. Sprinkle with cheddar and jack cheeses, diced tomatoes and green onions. Repeat until you've made four pizzas.Lay assembled pizzas on a cookie sheet, depending on the size of your cookie sheet you may need to do these in batches. Cook the pizzas under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes.