Posted May 13, 2013
If you’ve spent some time on this blog, you know that I have an obsession with mozzarella. If you have no idea what I am talking about check out my recipe for Baked Mozzarella, to see the dish that started it all. With that said, while I was in the kitchen last week writing some recipes down, my mind started to drift, I got a little hungry and I realized I needed a snack. Of course mozzarella sounded great and I knew I had some fresh vacuum packed mozzarella in the fridge and I also had a zucchini, so I thought I would experiment. What were my results? Imagine biting into a crisp zucchini bite to reveal, hot, melted mozzarella cheese. Doesn’t experimenting sound delicious?
There are a couple of really nice things about this snack. First, the coating of freshly shredded Parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs crisps up nicely in the oven so you don’t have to fry them. Second, you can prepare a little plate for yourself or a huge plate for you and some friends.
Mozzarella Stuffed Zucchini Bites Recipe
Zucchini bites stuffed with mozzarella, coated in panko and baked until golden.
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 3/4 inch slices
- about 1/3 cup pieces mozzarella (You don't have to be precise here, I just tore pieces off of my ball of mozzarella)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Olive oil for drizzling
- non stick spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using the top of a vegetable peeler, carve out a small hole in the zucchini slices, about 3/4 of the way through. You don't want to go all the way through, you want to make a little bowl for the mozzarella.
- Season the cavity of the zucchini with a little salt and pepper. Firmly press a couple of pieces of the mozzarella inside each piece of zucchini, it will fill the hole.
- Combine the Parmesan cheese and panko bread crumbs in a bowl.
- Dip each piece of stuffed zucchini in the egg then press into the cheese and bread crumbs mixture to coat. (Note: Don't get nervous if the bread crumbs don't adhere to the sides, it's more important that they are on the top and the bottom.)
- Spray a baking sheet lightly with non-stick spray. Place coated zucchini on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake on middle oven rack for 15 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil 3-5 minutes until golden brown.