Posted June 17, 2013
It’s finally Friday! I am very much looking forward to this weekend, not that I am doing anything too out of the ordinary. I plan to just relax, maybe spend some time in the sun, catch up on some reading and maybe even a Mariner game. But no matter what we decide to do, I will probably make this breakfast at least one of the days. I love this because it’s a one pan dish that incorporates many of my favorite flavors: eggs, bacon, mushrooms, onions and spinach.
I struggled with whether or not to call this an omelet or a frittata, but as you can see frittata won. I chose this because, it is more similar to a frittata then an omelet, the only difference being that for this breakfast I didn’t broil it like you would normally do for a frittata, I actually cook it in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set. Then like a frittata, I cut it into wedges and serve. But regardless of what you call it, it is a delicious and filling breakfast. :)
Spinach, Mushroom and Bacon Frittata Recipe
A delicious breakfast for two with eggs, bacon, mushrooms and spinach.
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 5 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup packed spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In an 8-inch skillet, fry bacon. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve 1 teaspoon pan drippings.
- In the same 8-inch skillet with the pan drippings, cook onion until soft, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 3 more minutes. Add spinach leaves and cook just until the spinach wilts. Return the bacon to the pan.
- Pour eggs over the spinach mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool 5 minutes, the eggs will continue to cook. Cut into wedges, serve immediately.
It is important to use an 8-inch skillet, I used a bigger one once on accident and although it was scrumptious, my frittata was very flat. Enjoy!