Posted May 13, 2013
Yesterday was pretty warm, well by Seattle standards anyway, and today is going to be even warmer. For some reason warm weather always makes me crave tacos. Who doesn’t love tacos? To me they just scream summer time. Perhaps it is all of the bright flavors or the fact that they go so well with a cold bottle of Corona. Either way, these shrimp tacos are definitely the perfect summer time supper. They are quick, easy and light. They also showcase some of my favorite flavors: cumin, chili powder, cilantro and lime.
The combination of spices in this recipe can make the shrimp a little spicy, however the coolness of the cilantro-lime sour cream balances out the flavor nicely. If you do want to tone it down a little bit, you can cut the amount of chili powder in half and omit the cayenne pepper.
Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream Recipe
Who doesn’t love tacos? To me they just scream summer time. Perhaps it is all of the bright flavors or the fact that they go so well with a cold bottle of Corona. Either way, these shrimp tacos are definitely the perfect summer time supper.
- 20 medium prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 corn tortillas
- oil for frying
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- sliced avocado
- cilantro lime sour cream (recipe follows)
For the Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- juice and zest from one lime
- salt to taste
- In a bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper (if using). Add in shrimp and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to give the flavors a chance to marry.
- Cook shrimp in a skillet on medium heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and cover to keep warm.
- Use enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of a small pan, about 2 tablespoons. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook tortillas one at a time until soft, about 30 seconds on each side. Fold over to make a taco shell. As you cook each tortilla, place them on paper towels to absorb any of the oil left over.
- Stir all ingredients for the Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream together in a bowl.
- Spoon 5 shrimp into each taco shell. Top with lettuce, tomato, avocado and cilantro-lime sour cream.
I served these with black beans and chips and habanero salsa. It was the perfect meal to enjoy on our patio while sipping on ice cold coronas and watching the sun go down.