Posted May 13, 2013
Football season is upon us and in my household that means Game Day Snacks. Game Day Snacks have kind of become our little tradition. It all started last year with these little devils, Jalapeno Cream Cheese Wontons. Since then it has taken on a life of its own and has actually made me, who is not really a fan of the game, excited for football season. Last Sunday was our first game day snack event and for the occasion I made these scrumptious Chicken Egg Rolls.
Egg rolls are on my list of favorite appetizers not only because I love the crispy, flaky outside and savory inside but because you can put just about anything in them. This time around I decided to go with ground chicken, crimini mushrooms, carrots, celery and bean sprouts. I also threw in some freshly minced ginger and garlic.
For those of you wondering, I also tried baking these and they turned out OK. The wrapper wasn’t nearly as crisp but they still tasted delicious. If you would like to try for yourself preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Brush each side of the egg roll with a little olive oil and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
If you are not going to cook them right away you can place the completed egg rolls on a baking sheet, freeze them and then store them in the freezer in resealable plastic bags for later.
I like to serve these with Sweet Thai Chili Sauce or Chinese Hot Mustard for dipping.
Chicken Egg Rolls Recipe
Ground chicken, crimini mushrooms, carrots, celery and bean sprouts rolled in a wrapper and fried until golden.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced celery (about 3 ribs)
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 3/4 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
- 8 ounces bean sprouts
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
- 3 green onions, chopped
- kosher salt to taste
- 20 egg roll wrappers
- bowl of water for sealing wrappers
- In a wok or large saute pan, combine ground chicken with 1 teaspoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, minced garlic and minced ginger. Cook over medium heat until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a colander to strain.
- In the same pan, add remaining sesame oil and heat over medium heat. Once oil is hot add celery, carrots, onions, mushrooms and bean sprouts. Stir in fish sauce, sambal oleke, sesame seeds and remaining soy sauce. Continue cooking for 2 minutes. Return ground chicken to the pan. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until the vegetables are slightly softened. Add green onions. Season with salt to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To assemble the egg rolls: using one egg roll wrapper with one point towards you, place 2 tablespoons of filling about an inch from the point closest to you. Working away from you, fold the wrapper over the filling. Next fold in both sides. Dip your finger in water and wet the edges. Continue rolling to seal completely. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
- To fry them, heat about 1 inch of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Drop a tiny piece of a wrapper into the oil, if it sizzles the oil is ready. Fry egg rolls until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve.