Posted June 17, 2013
Holy comfort food Batman! If you are like me, then these cool Autumn nights create the perfect setting for a stick to your ribs, warm your tummy dinner. The kind of dinner where you sit down, eat, and almost fall asleep at the table before you have the chance to stand up and walk to the couch. This Meatloaf with Herbed Cream Sauce is just that. Ground beef and sausage are mixed with sauteed mushrooms,onions, garlic and a few more seasonings and then roasted. If this is not enough, I use the meatloaf pan drippings, heavy cream and fresh herbs to make a cream sauce to pour over the top. Have your pillow ready.
Do you remember the line from A Christmas Story “Meat loaf, schmeet loaf, double beet loaf, I hate meat loaf”? That was me when I was a kid. Whenever my mom would say that she was making meatloaf, I would try to think of ways to position my chair so I could slip it to the dog without her seeing. Just the thought of a loaf of meat was not something I was too keen on. However as I got older and my taste buds began to change, much to my dog’s chagrin, I found myself actually looking forward to meatloaf night. The savory mixture of meat and seasonings finally started to appeal to me. And while I still do enjoy a good meatloaf topped with the traditional ketchup topping, as I began making meatloaf at home for Ryan and I, I decided that a creamy herb sauce would be a nice change. Just think of it as a creamy herbed gravy. And everything is better with gravy right?
Meatloaf with Herbed Cream Sauce Recipe
Ground beef and sausage are mixed with sauteed mushrooms,onions, garlic and a few more seasonings and then roasted. Topped with a creamy herb gravy. Comfort food at its finest.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped onion
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped crimini mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/4 pound ground beef (80/20)
- 6 breakfast sausage links, casings removed
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon grated horseradish
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
Herbed Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon meatloaf pan drippings
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small sauce pan heat olive oil. Once warmed add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a bowl combine beef, sausage, eggs, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, ketchup, Worcestershire, horseradish and thyme. Once the mushroom mixture has cooled spoon that over the meat mixture. Using your hands, mix until well combined. Form into a loaf and place in a 9-inch loaf pan. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until top is firm and internal temperature is 160 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Meanwhile make your sauce.
- Heat 1 tablespoon meat loaf pan drippings in a small sauce pan over medium heat. After warmed, whisk in flour, cook 1 minute. Whisk in beef broth. Slowly whisk in cream. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes or until sauce thickens. It should coat the back of a spoon. Stir in chives, parsley and thyme. Cook for 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice meatloaf, place on serving platter and spoon the sauce over the top.