Posted May 13, 2013
Fall and winter generally mean lots of hearty, comfort food. Much of this food is pretty heavy to say the least. Not that that is a bad thing, everyone knows how many mashed potatoes I can eat. But with Thanksgiving only a week away, eating lighter the week before always seems like such a good idea. But don’t mistake eating lighter for less flavor or less comfort. This pasta loaded with garlic, sausage and greens is a delicious light dish, perfect for those of us wanting to lighten things up a bit before the big feast next week.
Like my Fettuccine with Sausage, Peppers and Onions, I used turkey Italian sausage for this recipe. If you have never used it before you should really give it a try. It still has a great sausage flavor but is just a bit lighter. However, if you cannot find it or your reaction to the idea of turkey sausage is like my reaction to the idea of turkey bacon, go a head and substitute regular pork Italian sausage. And if you like things spicy, be sure to use the hot version.
Note: If you use regular pork sausage, omit the 1 teaspoon of olive oil and use 1 teaspoon of pan drippings.
Penne with Sausage, Spinach and Arugula Recipe
This pasta loaded with garlic, sausage and greens is a delicious light dish, perfect for those of us wanting to lighten things up a bit.
- 8 ounces dried penne pasta
- 5 turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups baby arugula
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to box directions. Strain but reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Set cooked pasta aside.
- While your pasta is cooking brown sausage in a pan over medium heat, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a colander to strain grease. Set aside.
- To the same pan that you cooked the sausage in add olive oil, shallot, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper. Cook until shallot is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Return sausage to the pan, add cooked pasta, arugula, spinach and reserved pasta water. Toss to combine and cook for 2 minutes or just until the greens wilt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.