Posted June 17, 2013
Oh. My. Word. These were awesome. First, the chicken is marinated in buttermilk, dredged in seasoned flour, fried until golden and placed on a toasted kaiser roll with all the fixin’s. Then, just when you think that it couldn’t possibly get any better, a little honey is drizzled over the top for a kiss of sweetness. I kid you not, I made these for Ryan and I the other day and after he finished his in an astonishing 5 minutes his quick little fingers grabbed mine while I had set it down in between bites. They were that good.
I would be lying if I told you that I am a huge sweets fan. Really, I’m not. I’m more of a salty food kind of person. That is why the fact that I liked this sandwich so much may seem weird to a few of you who know that I would prefer a pickle to a cookie any day. But this sandwich has just the right balance of salty and sweet to please just about any palate.
Please note that there is a little planning ahead required when making this recipe. The chicken needs to marinate in the buttermilk mixture for at least 2 hours.
Honey Kissed Crispy Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Honey Kissed Crispy Chicken Sandwich.The perfect amount of salty and sweet.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and pat dry
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- oil for frying
- 2 kaiser rolls
- About 2 teaspoons honey
- tomato slices
- lettuce leaves
- sliced red onion
- Place chicken breasts in a resealable plastic bag.Pound with the flat side of meat mallet until flattened to 1/4 inch thick (a rolling pin would work too).
- In a bowl whisk together buttermilk, egg, 1 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt and Tabasco. Place chicken breasts in the bowl, turn to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- After marinating the chicken, place flour, baking powder and 1 tablespoon of seasoning salt in a resealable plastic bag. Remove chicken from marinade and transfer to flour. Shake to coat. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1/ 2 inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil starts to shimmer, sprinkle a little flour over it. If it sizzles its ready. Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- Toast kaiser rolls. Spread mayonnaise on roll. Place chicken breast on bottom half of roll, drizzle 1 teaspoon of honey over each chicken breast. Add tomato, lettuce, onion and top half of roll.
As I learned, if you happen to be eating this with anyone else at the table, hang on to your sandwich or it just might disappear. Enjoy!