Posted May 13, 2013
The first Saturday in December is usually the day that Ryan and I awake early in the morning, eat a hearty breakfast, get bundled up, grab our saw and head to a local Christmas tree farm to cut down our Christmas tree. It is a tradition that I have come to love over the last few years. This year was bar far one of the coldest and by the time that we got home, our fingers and toes were numb and the heater just wasn’t warming us up. That is where these Peppermint Patty Cocktails came into play. Warm, chocolatey and minty, they made the perfect addition to our tree decorating day.
I still remember my first Peppermint Patty. On a cold night shortly after I turned 21, a bartender at the bar a few of us servers would go to after work approached our table and asked “Can I start you with a cocktail, maybe a Peppermint Patty?” My immediate thought was, “Is she offering me candy?” Since I figured that wasn’t right, I asked what it was. She replied “Just think a minty hot chocolate for adults”. Mint? Chocolate? SOLD! When I took my first sip, the chocolate and minty peppermint schnapps warmed me right up. It was like Christmas in a cup and each year I make myself at least one.
Peppermint Patty Recipe
Peppermint Patty Cocktail. Hot chocolate, Peppermint Schnapps, whipped cream and sprinkles. Its like Christmas in a cup.
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup hot chocolate mix
- 1/4 cup peppermint schnapps, plus more as needed
- whipped cream
- In a saucepan heat 2 cups of milk over medium heat, just until steamy. About 5 minutes.
- Once milk starts to steam whisk in hot chocolate mix. Continue cooking 2-3 minutes or until hot chocolate is desired temperature. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat and whisk in 1/4 cup of peppermint schnapps. Taste. If desired, add more schnapps.
- Ladle mixture into glasses, top with whipped cream and sprinkles.
These would make a great addition to any Christmas party. Go easy on the schnapps if it is a work affair. On second thought, you may want to add just a little bit more. Enjoy!