Posted May 13, 2013
If mashed potatoes are my favorite comfort food side dish, it is safe to say that macaroni and cheese runs a close second. I’m not talking about the stuff in the blue box either, which in a pinch is okay but really doesn’t hold a candle to the real stuff. You know what I’m talking about, the stuff that your mama used to make. The down home cookin’ version of homemade mac n’ cheese. This is my take on it and it requires not one, not two but three different kinds of cheese: cheddar, Gruyere and Havarti. Each bite is pure cheesy noodle bliss.
Most homemade mac n’ cheese recipes, like this one I did about a year a go, call for some oven time. This recipe is a little different in that you can do all of it on the stove top which makes the whole process go a little faster. Including noodle cooking time it should take you about 30 minutes to prepare. Perfect for weeknight cooking.
Three Cheese Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Three Cheese Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese. With Cheddar, Havarti and Gruyere each bite is pure cheesy noodle bliss.
- 2 cups dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Strain.
- In the same pot that you boiled the pasta in, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted sprinkle with 2 tablespoons flour. Whisk until smooth, cook 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk milk into flour mixture and bring to a simmer but do not boil. Add in all three cheeses and stir until they melt. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Fold in cooked noodles. Cook 5 minutes. Stir in chopped green onions. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot.
If you want to make a meal out of it try throwing in some cooked diced chicken breast and enjoy!