Posted May 13, 2013
When Ryan and I are enjoying a celebration dinner, whether at home or at a restaurant, we enjoy taking our time and we really go all out. To us that means starting the meal with an appetizer. A little something that we can nibble on while we chat over our cocktails or while finish up cooking dinner together. This artichoke tapenade made with artichoke hearts, garlic, capers, kalamata olives, lemon juice and olive oil is always a good choice. Spread on crackers its a flavorful, elegant appetizer perfect to share with your sweetie during your at-home Valentine’s Day celebration.
You have probably heard of an olive tapenade. If you haven’t, traditionally it is a puree of olives, capers and olive oil. They are common as dips for bread or as spreads on sandwiches. Personally, I have always enjoyed tapenades. I love their tangy, salty flavor although at times they can be a bit briny. It is because of this that when I set out to make one on my own I decide to shake things up a bit by using less olives and adding a can of artichoke hearts to the mix. The result was a smooth, flavorful dip that Ryan and I could not get enough of.
Artichoke Tapenade Recipe
Artichoke Tapenade with artichokes, olives, capers and garlic makes an elegant appetizer for an at home Valentine’s Day celebration.
Makes 1/2 cup
- 1 (14 ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained
- 7 pitted kalamata olives
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon non-pareil capers
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, garlic, capers and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until mixture is chopped fine.
- Remove lid add in olive oil. Pulse a couple more times until well combined.
- Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Serve with crackers or crusty french bread.