Posted May 13, 2013
With Easter this weekend, I thought I would share one of my favorite salad recipes to go along side your holiday ham and mashed potatoes. This is the salad that my mom used to pull out on all of our special occasions and even on those regular dinners that she just wanted to make special. And how could it not make it special with spinach, eggs, bacon, green onions, mushrooms and warm bacon dressing.
My favorite part of this salad has always been the dressing. It is super easy to make and I love the smoky bacon flavor that the dressing brings to the salad. One thing that I learned from making this salad quite a few times is the key is to pour the dressing over the salad just before serving. That way the spinach slightly wilts but not too much.
Spinach Salad with Bacon Dressing Recipe
My favorite special occasion salad just in time for your Easter celebration. Spinach Salad with Bacon, yes bacon, Dressing.
- 5 slices bacon, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
- 5 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- pinch of sugar
- kosher salt
- In a skillet cook the bacon until browned. Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings.
- While bacon is cooking combine spinach, eggs, mushrooms and green onions in a salad bowl. After bacon has cooked, sprinkle over salad.
- To make the dressing: keep bacon drippings on low heat, stir in lemon juice and sugar. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Just before serving pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Sprinkle with kosher salt if desired.