Posted May 13, 2013
It’s here! It’s here! It’s here! Summer that is. Wonderful, glorious, sunny, warm (ish) summer is finally here. Ryan and I decided to celebrate our first 75 degree day of the year by eating dinner outside on our patio. Our meal of choice? This grilled steak salad with mushrooms, caramelized onions and a tangy dijon vinaigrette. Hello summer. Where have you been?
Is it just me or are there more and more lettuces and other greens at the grocery store lately? There are so many to choose from and at my grocery store they have a wide variety of organic pre-washed and ready to eat lettuce which cuts down on prep time for me. For this salad I went with simple baby spinach (always a favorite) and baby romaine. You could choose which ever greens that you like. I bet that peppery arugula would be wonderful.
Grilled Steak Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette Recipe
Tender grilled steak, greens, mushrooms, caramelized onions and Dijon vinaigrette. The perfect way to welcome summer.
- 3/4 pound flat iron steak
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/3 cup plus two teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more for seasoning steak)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (plus more for seasoning steak)
- 2.5 ounces baby romaine leaves
- 2.5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced crimini mushrooms
- Preheat your grill to medium heat.
- Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once butter has melted add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have caramelized. About 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- After you start the onions, begin cooking your steak. For medium rare, cook for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil, allow to rest for 10 minutes, the steak will continue to cook during this time. If you would like it more well done cook 15 or 20 minutes before resting.
- While the steak is cooking and the onions are caramelizing, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place romaine lettuce, spinach and sliced mushrooms in a salad bowl.
- After steak has rested, slice thinly against the grain. Place sliced steak on top of lettuce. Top with caramelized onions. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Serve.