Posted May 13, 2013
I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Growing up I did not like ribs. Like at all. If that’s what my mom was BBQ-ing I would load up my Chinet paper plate with extra corn and pea salad. I didn’t like getting messy and ribs were, and still are, messy. Very messy. But that is the beauty of growing up your tastebuds change and in my case, I realized that the messier the meal, usually the better it is.
What makes these so messy is the sweet and spicy homemade honey chipotle BBQ sauce that is poured over the top of them before the slow cooking begins. If you’d like to cut the heat down a bit you can use half of the can of chipotle peppers and add another tablespoon of honey. Either way be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand, you will need them.
Honey Chipotle Slow Cooker Pork Ribs Recipe
The best meals are always the messiest and these sweet n’ spicy honey chipotle slow cooker ribs are no exception.
Pork Ribs Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds baby back pork ribs
- 1 onion sliced
Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a bowl combine kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cumin and olive oil in a bowl. Stir to make a paste. Rub mixture all over ribs. Transfer to preheated baking sheet. Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes. Turn and cook for 15 more minutes.
- Place the sliced onion on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- While the meat is cooking combine all of the ingredients for the BBQ sauce in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Transfer ribs to the slow cooker. Pour BBQ sauce over the top. Cover and cook for 6 hours. Serve.