Posted June 17, 2013
I will be the first to admit that I’m not really a breakfast fan. I never really have been. I didn’t eat it much while I was growing up and that bad habit followed me into adulthood. When I do make breakfast it is usually the same ol’ same ol’: eggs, bacon, potatoes and toast. Frankly it was getting a tad bit boring. I felt I need to burst out of my boring breakfast shell a little bit and try something with a little more flavor, something with a little kick, something like these huevos rancheros with chorizo refried beans.
For the record, I know that usually huevos rancheros does not involve chorizo and in its purest form doesn’t even have refried beans. But I felt like shaking things up a bit. It was a little bit of a risk but what can I say, I live on the edge. OK maybe not really, but I do like experimenting in the kitchen and unlike my apple pie (more about that in a couple weeks), this experiment actually turned out really really good. I was eating the chorizo refried mixture by the spoonful as Ryan was taking pictures.
You will notice that this recipe calls for 4 – 8 eggs. Some people like 1 egg on their huevos rancheros and some people like 2. Do what ever suits your fancy.
Huevos Rancheros with Chorizo Refried Beans Recipe
Shaking up traditional huevos rancheros with spicy chorizo and refried beans. Talk about starting your day off right.
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 12 ounces ground chorizo
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 - 8 eggs
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 of the diced onion and cook just until softened. Stir in chorizo. Cook 5-7 minutes or until chorizo is cooked through. Stir in refried beans. Cook 5 more minutes. Reduce heat to low and let simmer.
- In another skillet heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Add in remaining onions and cook just until softened. Stir in fire roasted tomatoes and kosher salt. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and let simmer.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in another skillet. Cook tortillas 30 seconds on each side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet that you cooked the tortillas, melt butter over medium heat. Cook eggs 3 - 4 minutes or until yolk is set and white is cooked.
- To assemble: place 2 tortillas on a plate. Spread chorizo refried beans on tortillas. Place one egg on the top and spoon tomatoes over plate. Serve.