Posted June 17, 2013
As I sit here typing this on Thursday night I hear the not so faint sound of Saint’s fans cheering in the background. I happen to know they’re Saint’s fans only because I heard the “Who Dat” phrase quite a few times. The fact that I am hearing this cheering can only mean one thing: It’s football season. And if you’re like me, this doesn’t interest you at all. Well maybe it does a little bit only because it means that you get to make all kinds of football food, of which I will be sharing plenty of recipes later. But today I am sharing a recipe for all of the other “non-football” fans like me out there who want something to nibble on while we are watching something a little more sophisticated. Something with a little more depth, like say, Jersey Shore. And nothing pairs with learning about a little GTL then a fresh, cheesy, hot from the oven pizza.
I’m not going to call this a girl pizza because I know very well that there are some boys out there that will like it. Ryan did. But there are also some boys out there that will say “WHERE’S THE MEAT?” Alas, there isn’t any on this pizza. But that doesn’t mean that it is short on any flavor. There is not one, not two but three different kinds of cheeses: mozzarella, romano and goat. This makes each and every bite an explosion of creamy cheesy goodness. The sweet red onion and crisp red pepper take the flavor to another level. And the spinach? Well that is just there for good measure.
One last note, I do prepare my own pizza dough for this recipe, but if that takes too much time go a head and buy a pre-made dough and start from step 9.
Spinach, Cheese, Onion and Pepper Pizza Recipe
Three different kinds of cheese, spinach, sweet red onion and crunchy bell pepper. Trust me you wont even miss the meat.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for flouring surface
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeds and ribs removed, sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded romano cheese
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles
- In a bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. About 10 minutes.
- In another bowl combine flour, basil and kosher salt.
- After yeast has dissolved, gradually mix in the seasoned flour. Mix with hands until well combined.
- On a flour coated surface, kneed dough until soft, about 5 minutes. Add more flour as needed so the dough doesn’t stick to your hands or the board.
- Grease a bowl with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Place dough in the bowl, cover tightly with saran wrap. Let rise in a warm, dark place for 40 minutes – 1 hour or until it has doubled in size. I put mine in a kitchen cabinet.
- Once it has doubled in size, punch the dough to release the air bubbles.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough and then using your hands shape into 15 inch pizza pan. Bake dough for 10 minutes.
- While dough is baking, heat remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, add garlic and oregano. Cook just until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Remove dough from oven and brush olive oil and garlic mixture over the top.
- Layer remaining ingredients on the dough. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and crust is browned.
- Slice and serve.