Posted June 17, 2013
You must make this pasta. Like today. Maybe you could wait until tomorrow but definately do not wait much longer than that. I’m tellin you it is comfort in a bowl. How could it not be with italian sausage, loads of crimini mushrooms, half and half, sour cream and cream cheese. Hey I said it was comfort in a bowl, not a diet in a bowl.
One of my many favorite things about fall is that it is mushroom season. I love anything and everything about mushrooms. Crimini are my favorite because they can be used in many different things like white button mushrooms, but they have an earthier flavor. For this reason, I chose them for this pasta.
Speaking of pasta, I chose to use some fusilli because it’s what I had in the pantry. But you could use any kind of short pasta that you like. I think it would be good with penne, ziti or even elbow macaroni. Or you could just eat the sauce with a spoon. I don’t judge.
Creamy Mushroom and Sausage Pasta Recipe
Creamy pasta with sausage and crimini mushrooms. It’s comfort in a bowl. Make it. Like now.
- 1/2 pound dried pasta
- 13 ounces ground mild Italian sausage (about 4 links removed from casings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup mushroom broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile while pasta is cooking, brown Italian sausage in a pan over medium heat. Once browned transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan that you cooked the sausage in add two tablespoons of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Stir in mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until mushrooms are softened and brown.
- Pour in wine and mushroom broth allow to cook for 5 minutes. Scrape any brown bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pan. Return sausage to the pan.
- Stir one tablespoon of the hot broth into the half and half to temper it.
- Stir tempered half and half, sour cream and cream cheese into broth. Continue cooking until the cream cheese has melted and the sauce has thickened slightly, 5 -7 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce. Stir to coat. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Stir once more and add chopped parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.