Posted May 13, 2013
It’s that time of year again. Time to break out the slow cooker and make some comfort food. Food that warms your tummy and your soul. This spiced slow cooker pot roast with tomatoes does just that. And not to mention while it was cooking the entire house smelled amazing. The enticing aroma of slow cooked beef, chipotle, onions, cumin and tomatoes is enough to make even the finickiest of eaters eager for dinner.
Unlike traditional pot roast, this pot roast is not cooked with potatoes, carrots and onions. To be honest, usually I’m not the biggest fan of the vegetables that are cooked with pot roast. I’m not sure what it is, I just always push them off to the side and never eat them. This recipe however, is quite the opposite. The tomatoes and onions make a glorious sauce that is spooned over the top of the finished roast. A glorious, beefy tomato sauce that I ate by the spoonful.
Spiced Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Tomatoes Recipe
The enticing aroma of beef, chipotle, onions, cumin and tomatoes is enough to make even the finickiest of eaters eager for dinner.
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 3 pound beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- Combine first six ingredients together in a bowl. Rub spices all over beef chuck roast.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sear seasoned chuck roast on all sides, just until browned.
- Place sliced onion on the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with seared chuck roast. Pour beef broth and diced tomatoes over the top. Cook in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours use a slotted spoon to remove the tomatoes and onions. Reserve the tomatoes, onions and 1 1/2 cups of the pan juices. Add to a pot and cook over medium-high heat until reduced by 1/2, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer pot roast to a serving platter, spoon tomatoes over the top. Serve.