Posted May 13, 2013
With the Super Bowl just around the corner, I got to thinking about recipes that I could make for game day. Besides the commercials, the food is my favorite part of the Super Bowl anyway. Shocked? I doubt it. There are dips, chips, drinks, and all kinds of snacks, but a Super Bowl party is not a Super Bowl party without the grand daddy of all super bowl food: chicken wings. And for this year, I’ve got a little twist for you.
Once again Facebook has come through with another great idea. I asked people how they like to sauce their wings and got a plethora of responses. From Old Bay seasoning, to Parmesan ranch, to jerk seasoning, I now have so many wing recipes to try. Last night I settled on a variation of a garlic/lime version that someone suggested. I decided to add honey for some sweetness and some chili powder and cayenne for that kick that everyone expects from chicken wings. You can bet that these will be at our super bowl party. What will be at yours?
Garlic Lime Chicken Wings Recipe
Crispy baked chicken wings with garlic, lime and honey. Perfect for the big game.
Serves 2 - 4
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds chicken wings
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- cooking spray
- In a bowl whisk together garlic, lime juice, lime zest, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and cayenne pepper.
- Place chicken wings in another bowl and pour marinade over the top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours .
- When ready preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine panko bread crumbs, flour and remaining chili powder and kosher salt. Press marinated chicken wings into bread crumb mixture to coat completely and transfer to prepared rack. Drizzle remaining olive oil over the top.
- Bake chicken wings for 20 minutes. Turn and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until chicken wings are cooked through and golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving platter, squirt a little lime juice over the top and sprinkle some more lime zest and a little kosher salt if desired. Serve.