Posted May 13, 2013
I was craving something crunchy, crispy and salty. Something with a little kick. Something that would make the perfect appetizer to the Mexican inspired dinner I was making the other night. Enter these chipotle chicken egg rolls. They are perfectly golden on the outside and full of savory chicken and spicy chipotle on the inside.
Egg rolls are always begging for some kind of dipping sauce. With traditional egg rolls I like to go with a traditional soy sauce/vinegar blend, spicy sriracha or sweet thai chili sauce. But this version, with its Mexican inspired twist, was begging for something a little different. I decided to go with the creamy avocado sauce that I used in this recipe. It added the perfect bit of cool creaminess to the slightly spicy egg rolls. With that said, a traditional guacamole or some sour cream would go well too.
Chipotle Chicken Egg Rolls Recipe
Golden fried egg rolls stuffed with chicken and chipotle peppers.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
- 2o egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook bell peppers, onions and garlic in a skillet until the peppers are tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in chicken, cumin, salt, chili powder, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- To assemble the egg rolls: using one egg roll wrapper with one point towards you, place 2 tablespoons of filling about an inch from the point closest to you. Working away from you, fold the wrapper over the filling. Next fold in both sides. Dip a pastry brush into the egg and brush the edges. Continue rolling to seal completely. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
- To fry them, heat about 1 inch of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Drop a tiny piece of a wrapper into the oil, if it sizzles the oil is ready. Fry egg rolls until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt. Serve.
Note you can also freeze these. I'd recommend placing them in a single layer on a baking sheet and then placing them in the freezer until frozen. Then transfer to resealable freezer bags.