Posted May 13, 2013
Alright let me tell you something, these cupcakes are decadent.They are sweet. They are sinful. They are downright heavenly. How could they not be? Not only are they chocolate cupcakes, but they get a dose of bittersweet chocolate chips thrown in. And then to top it all off (literally) they are frosted with a silky, creamy, chocolate frosting. So when you sit down to eat the whole batch like I imagine you might, just make sure that you have a glass of milk or two.
I haven’t had many desserts around the house lately but yesterday when I was sitting on my couch catching up on some Lifetime movies, I decided it was time to make one. I began looking in the pantry to see what I could throw together and noticed one thing: chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. Since Ryan is always asking me to make cupcakes and I had a rather disastrous experience attempting to make cookies a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try my hand at cupcakes. Judging by Ryan’s reaction after trying these, I am confident I made the right choice.
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate chips and chocolate frosting. Pass the milk please.
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- chocolate sprinkles
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 - 5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl combine cocoa powder, flour, and baking powder.
- In another bowl beat together sugar, eggs, vanilla and canola oil. Once combined, alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the egg mixture. Mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake in preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with just a few crumbs on it. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting, beat together butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Add in cocoa powder, vanilla and 3 tablespoons of milk. Frosting should be stiff but spreadable. If needed add remaining 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Frost cooled cupcakes, sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles if desired and serve.