Posted May 13, 2013
While at work the other day, it was only about 10am and I was already thinking of what I wanted to make for dinner. Totally normal right? I thought so. During my thinking, I had decided on these cajun chicken wings but needed the perfect side dish. Then someone said “why not make a potato salad? How good does a potato salad with fried chicken sound right now?” And the more I thought about it the more I realized that it did sound good. It sounded really good.
If you’re looking for a traditional potato salad with mayo and mustard then this recipe isn’t for you. However, if you’re looking for a change, let’s say a potato salad with bright herb flavor and a light sour cream dressing then you’ve come to the right place because this salad has just that. First you make a tangy dressing with sour cream, Herbs de Provence, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic and then toss it with tender potatoes, yellow onion and chopped kale.
I wasn’t actually planning on putting kale in this salad at first. I simply had no idea if you could actually eat raw kale. To get my answer I took to twitter to ask some friends who I was sure would know. Thankfully Gaby from What’s Gaby Cooking happened to be checking her twitter feed at the moment I asked my question. She told me that you could in fact eat it raw, it was just important to chop it really small. I followed her advice and am thankful I did, it added a nice crunch to the salad.
Kale and Potato Salad Recipe
A bright, flavorful potato salad with herb sour cream dressing and crunchy kale.
Serves 6 - 8
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, diced. Peeled if desired
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped small
- 1/2 pound Italian kale, ribs removed, chopped small
- Place potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook just until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool.
- In a bowl whisk together sour cream, vinegar, Herbs de Provence, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.
- Once potatoes have cooled, place them in a bowl with onion and kale. Pour dressing over the top and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Serve.