Posted May 13, 2013
Since today marks the start of Labor Day weekend, I wanted to share a recipe that would showcase all of my favorite summer flavors but also something that was super easy to put together. These stuffed avocados are just that. A quick home made pico de gallo made with perfectly ripe tomatoes is stuffed into creamy avocados and then the whole thing is drizzled with lime juice for a burst of citrus flavor. It’s the perfect way to celebrate Labor Day.
When I was a little one I used to think that Labor Day was the day that all pregnant women went into labor. It makes total sense to a kid. However, as I sit here a little more round then I usually am, I can say that I am glad that that is not the case. Not that I’m not ready to meet our little man. I certainly am. We’re just not quite ready to bring him home yet, AKA the nursery isn’t done. We haven’t even started. It is still a guest room/office/Christmas decoration storage room. So this Labor Day, I think I will begin preparing for my upcoming labor day by getting the nursery ready. However, I do suppose I will make time for a few of these stuffed avocados. Judging by all the dancing around he does after I eat one, baby boy seems to like them.
Pico de Gallo Stuffed Avocados Recipe
Like avocados? Like Pico de gallo? Then you’ll love these pico de gallo stuffed avocados.
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced small
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced small
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 avocados, pits removed
- juice of 1 lime
- Combine tomatoes, jalapeno, onion, cilantro and koshers salt in a bowl. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to serve, scoop the pico de gallo into the hole where the pit was in the avocados. Squeeze lime juice over the top. Sprinkle with a little kosher salt if desired. Serve.