Posted May 13, 2013
These days just about everything gives me heartburn. I kid you not I drink water and I get heartburn. Water. However, surprisingly, spicy food does not seem to bother me. I eat something slathered in sriracha and no heartburn what so ever. As a result, I am going to continue adding it to as many things as possible, like this chicken salad, that also happens to be the perfect “man food” dish for football parties, and for tech support husbands.
You may or have may not noticed that the blog has been up and down, up and down, up and down the past couple of days. I thank you for your patience. I think we’ve got it handled now, but it sure does cause some stress on my part. I don’t like the idea of someone coming to visit looking for something for dinner and not being able to access the recipe. So when something happens like this, I turn to my web developer/designer/tech support/husband for help. Luckily he seems to know exactly what to do to get it fixed. As a show of appreciation, I decided to make him these spicy chicken salad sandwiches. He devoured them, as did I. How could we not with the tangy sriracha dressing, celery, shallots, cilantro and crispy wonton slices.
Sriracha Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
Sriracha chicken salad sandwiches with celery, shallots, cilantro and crispy wonton slices.
Serves 2 - 3
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 small shallot, finely sliced
- 1 rib celery, diced small
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- pinch kosher salt
- 4 wonton wrappers, sliced into strips
- oil for frying
- 2 - 3 hoagie rolls
- Combine mayonnaise, sriracha and rice vinegar in a bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in shallot, celery, cilantro, chicken and salt. Toss until coated in the dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When you are ready to make the sandwiches, heat a 1/4 inch of oil in a skillet. Once hot fry wonton wrappers until golden brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Slice the hoagie rolls down the middle lengthwise. Spoon the chicken salad into the hoagie rolls. Top with wonton wrappers and serve.