Posted May 13, 2013
Hey everyone! I know it’s been a while. We’re just trying to get to know our little man so I haven’t been spending any time in the kitchen aside from making myself some toast. I was planning on taking this time all along, what I wasn’t planning was for little man to come 3 weeks early so I don’t have as many recipes ready to share as I hoped. I did however happen to make this yummy curry in the days before he came. It’s quick, easy, creamy and the use of the pumpkin makes it the perfect pasta for fall.
As much as I love sweet pumpkin recipes like this or this, I really enjoy using pumpkin in savory dishes as well. It’s a nice change of pace. I’ve found that the deep earthy flavor of curry pairs very nicely with pumpkin. And because I like dishes with a little kick I add a little garam masala to the mix too. If you find that curry powder is enough spice for you feel free to leave out the garam masala.
Pumpkin Curry Penne Recipe
Creamy penne pasta with pumpkin curry and garam masala.
Serves 2 - 4
- 8 ounces dried penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 2 green onions, diced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook onion just until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and garam masala. Stir in the pumpkin. Slowly pour in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened slightly, 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add pasta to the sauce and toss to coat. Stir in salt. Add more if desired.
- Transfer pasta to a serving dish, sprinkle with green onions and serve.