Posted May 13, 2013
I know I know, as everyone has their New Year’s resolutions to start eating better, I have to go and share this.. erm… hearty recipe. But what can I say, I’m a nursing mother, I need my calories and these spicy, cheesy mashed potatoes are the perfect way to get them. They are also great side dish on these cold January days and would be perfect with the Jalapeno Garlic Pork Shoulder.
You will notice that I chose to use chicken broth in this recipe instead of cream. I started doing that recently as a way to lighten up traditional mashed potatoes and find that I really like the flavor. With that said if you would prefer more of a creamier mashed potato substitute milk or cream for the chicken broth.
Chipotle Cheddar Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Spicy, cheesy mashed potatoes with chipotle pepper and cheddar cheese.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, diced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, diced
- Place potatoes in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil and cook just until fork tender. Drain.
- Return potatoes to the pan. Add in chicken broth, butter, chipotle, adobo and kosher salt. Use a handheld mixer to whip the potatoes.
- While potatoes are piping hot stir in cheddar cheese so that it melts. Stir in green onions. Serve immediately.