Posted June 17, 2013
I had really high hopes for this pasta. It has so many of my favorite things: pasta, avocado, shrimp, tomatoes and bacon. With all of those things this pasta has everything going for it. And it lived up to all of my expectations. It is creamy, shrimpy, bacon-y heaven.
I first got the idea to use avocado to add some creaminess to pasta after seeing this post by Maria at Two Peas and Their Pod. The idea is genius I tell you. It adds all the creaminess without the added guilt of cream. It’s also a bonus for me right now because I’ve been craving a creamy pasta but cannot eat cream since dairy seems to bother my little man. If you are looking for a delicious vegetarian version, I really recommend Maria’s. If you like succulent shrimp and smoky bacon, give this one a shot.
Creamy Avocado Pasta with Shrimp and Bacon Recipe
Pasta with bacon, shrimp, tomatoes and a creamy avocado sauce.
- 2 avocados, pitted and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lb dried fettuccine
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup diced shallots
- 1/2 lb 51/60 count prawns, peeled and deviened
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- Combine avocado, lime juice, cilantro, salt, garlic powder, cumin and chili powder in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Once bacon has browned, transfer to a paper towel lined plate, reserve 1 tablespoon of the pan drippings.
- Add shallots to the reserved drippings, cook 1 minute. Stir in prawns and cook just until pink 2 - 3 minutes. Add pasta, tomatoes and bacon to the pan. Remove from heat. Pour avocado sauce over the top. Toss to coat. Sauce will be thick and creamy. Serve immediately.