Posted May 13, 2013
A few years back I was experimenting with different types of egg rolls to make. I would add different meats, veggies and spices. Some were successful, some not so much. Finally, Ryan suggested that I try making a pizza version. It was a genius idea. Don’t tell him that though, we don’t want it to go to his head.
Noticeably absent from these “pizza” egg rolls, is one of everyone’s favorite pizza ingredients: cheese. This isn’t because I am not currently eat cheese, it is because while I love cheese on pizza, I actually don’t like cheese in these. When I tried using cheese, it seemed to take over and actually made the texture a little funky. Instead, with these pizza egg rolls you get a crispy outside shell filled with crumbly sausage, hearty pepperoni and crisp veggies. Dipped in marinara and you won’t need a pizza parlor.
Pizza Egg Rolls Recipe
Pizza Egg Rolls. Crispy on the outside. Pizzalicious on the inside.
Makes 12 rolls
- 1/4 pound ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced pepperoni
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Approximately 12 egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil for frying
- Brown Italian sausage in a skillet over medium heat. Strain excess grease, reserve 1 tablespoon of pan drippings.
- Return sausage to the pan. Stir in pepperoni, bell pepper, onion, garlic, oregano and salt. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 3 minutes.
- To assemble the egg rolls: using one egg roll wrapper with one point towards you, place 1 heaping tablespoon of filling about an inch from the point closest to you. Working away from you, fold the wrapper over the filling. Next fold in both sides. Dip a brush or your finger in the egg and brush onto the wrapper. Continue rolling to seal completely. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a pan until 375 degrees. Fry egg rolls in batches until golden brown. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Serve hot.