Posted May 13, 2013
Hi everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic holiday. We did. There was family, friends, laughter and food. Oh was there food. So. Much. Food. So much rich food that I decided today would be a good time to share something a little different than the food we’ve been munching on the past few days. Something perhaps a little lighter but still full of flavor. Enter this Farro with Shrimp, Bacon, Mushrooms and Spinach.
I bought a giant bag of farro at Costco and have been bound and determined to find many different ways to use it. So far I’ve had a couple successes including this Farro, Cranberry and Goat Cheese Salad and now this.
I have a little saying that I live by “All good things start with onions and garlic sauteed in a little bacon drippings.” This recipe is no exception. The wonderful flavor continues with hearty farro, tender shrimp, crispy bacon, earthy mushrooms, spinach and white wine. It also gets a little kick from some crushed red pepper. Sounds pretty darn good right?
Farro with Shrimp, Bacon, Mushrooms and Spinach Recipe
A hearty, flavorful dish with farro, shrimp, bacon, mushrooms and spinach.
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 cups pearled farro
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 10 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (you can subsitute chicken broth)
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Cook farro according to package directions. Drain.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon bacon drippings. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute garlic, onions, oregano and crushed red pepper just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms. Cook 3 minutes or until softened slightly. Add prawns cook until opaque, about 3 minutes. Pour white wine over the top. Stir in spinach. Cook just until wilted, about a minute.
- Mix farro and bacon into the shrimp mixture. Mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.