Posted May 13, 2013
Ryan got in the car one day last week and said “The Seahawks game on the 23rd has been flexed”. I stared at him blankly. I had no idea what that meant. I’m guessing he could tell by the look on my face that he might as well have been speaking Greek because the next thing he said was “They are playing on Sunday Night Football”. This is a big deal in our house. So big in fact, that despite the fact that it is two days before Christmas we’ll be having a party and if you’re having a party too these would be perfect for your football fans.
I have used this technique of wrapping the mozzarella in a wonton wrapper before. It worked really well. So well that I didn’t think I could improve on it but I thought I’d give it a try by adding some jalapenos to the mix. It worked well too. Really well. In fact, it may be my new favorite way to eat mozzarella sticks. They are crispy and crunchy on the outside. Creamy, melt-y and spicy on the inside. The perfect game day snack.
Jalapeno Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
Crispy and crunchy on the outside. Creamy, melt-y and spicy on the inside.
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 sticks of mozzarella string cheese, cut in half
- 8 small jalapenos, cut in half lengthwise, stems and seeds removed
- 16 wonton wrappers
- bowl of water
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil for frying
- Combine the panko, salt and garlic powder together in a bowl.
- Place one piece of mozzarella, in one half of a jalapeno, place both in a wonton wrapper. Dip your finger in the water and run along the edges of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper around the mozzarella so that it is completely closed. Dip into the egg. Dredge in the panko mixture to coat completely. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- In a large pot heat 1 inch of oil to 350 degrees. Fry mozzarella sticks, in batches if necessary, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Serve.