Posted May 13, 2013
When I asked what kind of recipes you all would like to see on the blog, someone mentioned that they would like to see recipes for some winter veggies. Admittedly I don’t cook a lot with winter veggies like cabbage and cauliflower although I really do enjoy them, so I thought I’d give it a shot. First up is this cheesy cauliflower mash. And if I am being completely honest, it gives mashed potatoes a run for their money.
I was shockingly surprised at how much I actually enjoyed cauliflower mash. I had heard about it for a long time and people would always compare them to mashed potatoes. As a rabid mashed potato fan I always brushed it off and said no way. Then I tried it a couple weeks ago. Oh mama it is good. It’s creamy. Rich. And in this case cheesy thanks to the Parmesan and mozzarella. Give it a shot if you’ve been shy. I’m sure you’ll like it.
Cheesy Cauliflower Mash Recipe
Cauliflower mashed with parmesan and mozzarella. So good it gives mashed potatoes a run for their money.
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam cauliflower until fork tender.
- Place steamed cauliflower in a bowl and using a potato masher mash with butter and 1/4 cup of milk. If it seems a bit dry add the other 1/4 cup milk.
- Mix in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mozzarella, salt and garlic powder. Continue mixing until cheese has melted. Transfer to a small casserole dish. Top with panko bread crumbs and remaining Parmesan. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until bread crumbs have browned. Turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes if you want a crisper top. Remove from oven and serve hot.