Posted May 13, 2013
One of the things that I used to always buy was mac n’ cheese but after starting this blog and experimenting more in the kitchen, mac n’ cheese is one of the things I now always make from scratch. It’s so easy and tastes much better than the box version. Plus, when you make it on your own you get to do all kinds of funky things with it like mix in different cheeses and, as I did in this recipe, throw in some roasted poblano peppers.
We’ve started a Sunday dinner tradition with some friends. It’s something that we really look forward to during the week. We get together, sometimes at our house, sometimes at theirs and we make different things for dinner. Last Sunday it was at our place and to me nothing screams sunday dinner like fried chicken, mac n’ cheese and veggies and that is exactly what we made.
I decided to give our dinner a little Southwestern twist. The chicken got a little treatment with some cumin, garlic and ancho chili powder, while the mac n’ cheese got a little flavor boost with some pepper jack cheese and roasted poblano peppers. The result was an out of this world, cheesy, smoky delicious mac n’ cheese with just the slightest kick of heat from the pepper jack cheese. It was a hit with everyone, even Kellan!
Roasted Poblano Chili Mac N’ Cheese Recipe
Creamy mac n’ cheese with smoky roasted poblano peppers and pepper jack cheese.
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 cups dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Turn on broiler to low and broil poblano peppers until skins have blackened. About 10 minutes. Place hot peppers into a paper bag for 5 minutes. Remove from bag and peel the skins. Slice peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds and stems. Roughly chop the peppers and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.
- In large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Allow to cook 1 minute. Slowly whisk in the milk. Stir in the pepper jack and cheddar cheeses. Cook until melted.
- Take one tablespoon of the warm milk mixture and whisk it into the egg to temper it, add to cheese sauce. Stir in garlic powder, salt and cumin. Fold in cooked macaroni and chopped poblano peppers. Mix well. Allow to set for 5 minutes or just until thickened. Serve hot.