Alright here we are, a day before the Super Bowl and I saved the best for last. What Super Bowl party would be complete with out buffalo wings? Now I like my buffalo wings spicy so these are no exception as they are not for the faint of heart. I use a habanero pepper, chili paste and seasonings to coat perfectly seasoned oven fried wings.
Spicy Buffalo WingsPrint Recipe
- 1.5 to 2 lb chicken wings, tips trimmed and cut at the joint (Note: Sometimes you can find "party wings" at your local store, or the frozen drumettes, you can use them if you prefer)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- About 1/4 cup canola oil, plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 habanero pepper, diced fine (Note: you may want to use plastic gloves while dicing this pepper, and DO NOT touch your eyes before washing your hands)
- 5 tablespoons sambal oelek ground fresh chili paste (you can find this in the Asian food section of your local grocery store)
- 1/4 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Combine flour, 1 teaspoon seasoning salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon granulated garlic in one gallon plastic bag.
In a bowl whisk together egg and milk. Transfer to another one gallon plastic bag.
Put chicken wings in the egg wash first. Seal the bag and shake to coat.
Transfer the wings to the plastic bag with flour. Seal the bag and shake to coat.
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Lay wings in single layer. Drizzle with 1/4 cup canola oil. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Wings will be golden brown and crispy. While your wings are cooking prepare your sauce.
While you're wings are baking, heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add habanero pepper, quickly cook, about 1 minute, pepper will be slightly softenend.
Add chili paste, cajun seasoning, remaining granulated garlic, seasoning salt and pepper. Stir to cominbe. Add vinegar and water.
Cook over medium heat until sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes.
Add butter and cook until butter melts.
After the wings have finished cooking in the oven. Transfer them to a big bowl. Pour wing sauce over them and toss to coat. Serve with celery and blue cheese or ranch dressing.