Buttermilk Walla Walla Onion Rings from Life's Ambrosia
Prep time: 2 hr 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 1 large Walla Walla onion cut into 1/4 inch slices, separated into rings
- 1-1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 -1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- canola oil for frying
Quick Cajun Dip
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- In a bowl combine buttermilk, eggs, salt and pepper. Add onion rings, make sure they are covered with buttermilk mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- In a freezer bag combine flour, bread crumbs and seasoning salt.
- Heat 1 inch of oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Place several of the marinated onion rings in the bag. Seal. Shake bag to coat. Shake each onion ring to remove excess flour and bread crumbs. Repeat with remaining onions adding more panko or flour as needed.
- Sprinkle a bit of flour into the oil, if it sizzles the oil is ready. Fry the onion rings in batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to over crowd the pan. Transfer to paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with kosher salt, if desired.
- To make the quick Cajun dip, whisk all ingredients together.
- Serve onion rings hot with quick Cajun dip.
Copyright © 2009 Life's Ambrosia. All rights reserved. www.lifesambrosia.com