Prep time: 1 hr
Cook time: 05 min
- 1/2 pound (51-60 count) prawns, thawed if frozen, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sweet thai chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup finely sliced cucumbers (think matchsticks)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- kosher salt to taste
- 10-12 (8 1/2 inch round) rice paper wraps, plus more in case one rips
- Bring 3 cups of water to boil in a saucepan. Carefully add prawns to the boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink. Remove and place in a strainer. Run cold water over them until they are cool.
- In a bowl whisk together garlic, rice vinegar, sweet Thai chili sauce, sesame seeds and cilantro. Stir in carrots, cucumbers, green onions and chilled shrimp. Season to taste with salt. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Set up a work station with the chilled mixture, a wide bowl or pie dish with water in it to soak the rice paper, a flat surface to roll the rolls and a dish to store them in. Soak 1 piece of rice paper in the water for about 30 seconds or until it becomes soft and pliable. Carefully lay the wet wrapper on a flat surface. Place 1 teaspoon of the filling on the wrapper about 1 inch from the side closest to you. Working away from you, carefully fold the wrapper over the mixture. Next fold in both sides and then continue rolling away from you to seal. Place finished roll seam side down in the dish you are storing them in. Repeat with remaining filling and wraps.
- Cut each roll in half. Serve
These make a great appetizer for summer parties. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce. Our personal favorite? Peanut sauce. Enjoy!
Copyright © 2009 Life's Ambrosia. All rights reserved. www.lifesambrosia.com