It has been snowing all morning which makes me crave a nice warm bowl of soup. When the weather is like this I turn to this recipe for taco soup. It is a mixture of savory taco meat, beans and jalapenos in a rich tomato broth, served over crunchy tortilla chips. It is especially delicious when served with all the fixin’s like cheese, onions and creamy avocados.
Taco SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey (you can also use ground beef if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced small
- 1 15 oz kidney beans, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper as needed
- tortilla chips
- shredded cheddar cheese, minced onion and avocado for toppings
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the turkey meat. Once the meat is brown add the taco seasoning and stir to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
Add the onion, jalapeno, drained kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water and cumin. Stir all to combine. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
Place a handful of tortilla chips in the bottom of your soup bowl and ladle some of the soup over the top of the chips. Next add the toppings of your choice.