Cucumber Tomato Salad is my absolute favorite summer salad. Fresh cucumbers, summer tomatoes, shallots and a quick vinaigrette make this perfect for all of your summer cookouts.
Every summer growing up our family would host lots of BBQs and summer cookouts. Of course hot dogs, burgers, grilled chicken and spicy pepper steak were staples. But one of the things that I looked forward to the most was my mom’s Cucumber Tomato Salad.
The way that mom would traditionally make this salad was to dice tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions. Then she would pour Italian dressing over the top and let the the whole salad marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator.
Can I just say that the time that I had to wait for that salad to marinate always seemed to drag on FOREVER? I would constantly be reaching into the bowl in the fridge stealing bites and hoping it was ready. And as much as I liked sneaking those bites, it is really best to wait. Cucumber Tomato Salad is honestly better the longer that it has to set.
Over the years I have made this cucumber tomato salad my own by making a few small changes.
1. The dressing. My mom would use a bottle of our favorite Italian dressing and it was always good. I don’t usually have it on hand but it is really easy to make your own vinaigrette. All you need is red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, water, garlic and a few seasonings.
2. The cucumber. I prefer english cucumbers. They are the long cucumbers that you find usually wrapped in plastic at the grocery store. They are seedless, often less bitter and they don’t need to be peeled. Although you can peel them if you like. With that said, a regular cucumber would be just fine.
3. The tomatoes. Obviously, fresh summer tomatoes shine in this recipe. You’ll want tomatoes that are large and firm.
4. The onion. My mom would make this salad using diced red onions. And while I loved the salad, I do remember leaving the onions on the plate more often than not. For this cucumber salad recipe, I use thinly sliced shallots instead. You will still get a subtle oniony flavor but they aren’t overpowering.
5. Waiting. That’s the hardest part. This salad is best when it’s allowed to marinate for at least a few hours in the fridge, even better the next day. I usually let it set at room temperature an hour or so before serving too which makes it even better.
This Easy Cucumber Tomato Salad is right at home at any summer bbq. It’s great when served with a grilled flat iron steak or even all on it’s own with some pita for a light lunch.
Whisk together all ingredients for dressing.
Combine tomatoes, cucumbers and shallots together in a bowl. Pour dressing over the top. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve.
Amount per serving: 4 servings
Calories: 135 , Total Fat: 12.8g , Saturated Fat: 1.8g , Cholesterol: 0mg , Sodium: 444mg , Carbohydrates: 5.5g , Fiber: 1.6g , Sugar: 2.7g , Protein: 1.3g